cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Henrik_Noerr1
Advisor

R81.20 - RHEL 7.9 and Open Server?

Hey,

As I understand r81.20 is based on RHEL7.9.

We are a very heavy Open Server organization and relies on Open Servers from the HCL have had platforms added here.

It is getting time for us to renew the HCL with more modern hardware.

With the Introduction of Intel Xeon Gen4 I am in doubt if this will be possible to certify on r81.20.

4th Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors - Red Hat Certified Hardware - Red Hat Customer Port...

This lists 8.6+ as certified.

Any comments, it would be a shame to certify last gen hardware?

Henrik

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Blason_R
Leader
Leader

I am running few of my firewalls on open server and remaining are appliances. My honest recommendation is go ahead with appliances directly rather than Open servers. Since you then need to fine tune and choose the NICs and drivers appropriately. Plus the SSD and other factors as those are already been considered in case of Physical appliances.

Thanks and Regards,
Blason R
CCSA,CCSE,CCCS
0 Kudos
Henrik_Noerr1
Advisor

Hey,

Good this is working for you. We see a much better use case for open servers.

Pricing for appliances are simply 2x or more compared to Open Servers. On top of that our LCM can stretch for longer due to longer support time for servers than what we see on appliances.

If anyone have information specifically for Intel Gen4 I would appreciate it. I do not think the newest Check Point appliances comes with Gen4 or even Gen3 either.

Our newest appliance is a 26000 which comes with a Xeon(R) Gold 5220 (Gen2)

/Henrik

0 Kudos
abihsot__
Advisor

Just having proper iLO worth it 🙂 LOM never works when you actually need it.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Please discuss your HCL requirements with your local CP SE who can initiate the necessary process / RFEs etc.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Support for specific Open Servers must be requested via RFE with your local office.
My understanding is that R82 will be based on RHEL 8.x.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events