cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Diyaa3791
Participant

No OSPF reference bandwidth setting?

Hello everyone,

I have been scratching my head for a few days here wondering where I would find the OSPF auto cost reference bandwidth in the Gaia configuration? And just before anyone answers..... The auto cost reference bandwidth in OSPF is NOT the interface cost.

The auto cost reference bandwidth in OSPF is set to 100 Mbps by default. I have my environment with the auto cost reference bandwidth set to 10 Gig. However, I am unable to change it on the Check Point side.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I have OSPF configured in my lab, let me see if I can help you out.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Not sure if this may help, but its closest I found.

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Security-Gateways/OSPF-Reference-Bandwidth/td-p/4448

I checked my lab and I dont even see any generic ospf options to set in clish for this.

Andy

0 Kudos
Diyaa3791
Participant

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I stated in my original post "And just before anyone answers..... The auto cost reference bandwidth in OSPF is NOT the interface cost." There are also people in the post you referenced stating the same exact thing.

I think the option doesn't exist on the Check Point side. However, it is a critical piece when it comes to working with a multi-vendor environment and getting into higher speed links....

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I have a gut feeling you are right, that it does not exist. I will keep looking though.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I checked with my colleague who actually used to teach CP classes and he never even heard of 100 MB setting before. Where did you find that? I would like to confirm in my lab.

Andy

0 Kudos
Diyaa3791
Participant

Sorry, for not being clear about this. I didn't find any settings about that in the Gaia configuration. I just know that is the default setting of the OSPF protocol.

With that in place (not changing that setting - aka, keeping it to the default) you are essentially telling OSPF "100 Mbps, 1 Gbps, 10 Gbps, 25 Gbps, 40 Gbps, 100Gbps, and etc links... have the same exact cost. If you know how to get there over a 100 Gig link and a 100 Mbps link both of them have the same cost and they are not different". 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

If there no redundant links, cost makes no dofference. Either way, I am 99.99% sure that setting does NOT exist on CP side, unlike on Cisco as per below, but to be 100% sure, I would get an official confirmation via TAC case.

Andy

https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/fastiron-09010-commandref/page/GUID-D7109E43-D368-46FE-95AF-D522B2...

0 Kudos
Diyaa3791
Participant

As far as my knowledge extends... The OSPF auto-cost reference bandwidth should be the same on all OSPF routers to avoid issues with cost calculation since every single OSPF router has a complete map of the network.

Thank you for your answer. However, I disagree with your statement that it doesn't matter. I would replace that with "If there are no redundant links in an environment with Check Point ONLY, cost makes no difference."

Thank you,

Diyaa

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Sorry, thats what I meant, CP only.

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events